About the Pastorate
The Rev. Rhenius is the Father of Seevalasamuthram Church where he did pioneering Christian work and the result was that the entire village came to Christ. In 1831, villagers worshipped in a thatched shed. Thanks to the effort of a faithful catechist, Mr. Swamidoss, a big church was built in 1845 and it served well for half a century. The present magnificent church was built in 1901 and it was dedicated by the Rt. Rev. Western Fornerby.
The 7 congregating in the Pastorate are:
- St. Mathew’s Church, Seevalasamuthram
- Holy Trinity Church, Odai Marichan
- St. Paul’s Church, Puthupatti
- Holy Trinity Church, Ilanthaikulam
- Holy Trinity Church, Maruthamputhur
- Holy Immanuel Church , Thalaisubramaniapuram
- Udaiyampuli – New chruch, established on 31.1.1999.
At the Pastorate level, Annual Thanksgiving Festival is held at Seevalasamuthram church. Asanam is organized on the Friday prior to Good Friday.
The plans of the Pastorate include renovation of St. Mathew’s Church before 2008 and raising new congregations at Maranthai and Kaliankulam.