About the Pastorate
The congregation at North Vagaikulam was raised in 1881 with the baptism of 20 believers. St. Andrew’s Church at North Vagaikulam was dedicated in 1890 by Rt. Rev. Samuel Morley, Bishop of Tirunelveli and Madurai. Mr. O Abraham, the first Catechist and Mrs. Koilpillai Ammal contributed a lot towards the early growth of the congregation. Mr. O Abraham was gifted and had performed many miracles in his time. His life is a witness even today and many people who are sick pray and whitewash his tombstone to get cured. His work is remembered so much at North Vagaikulam that in every Christian family they have named a child Abraham.
St. Andrew’s Church was extended in 1967. A 100 feet tower was built in 1981 to commemorate the Centenary of the congregation, which was dedicated by Rt. Rev. Daniel Abraham, Bishop in Tirunelveli. In 1987 the Church was rebuilt and dedicated by Rt. Rev. Jason Dharmaraj. Monthly Gospel work is being done regularly at North Vagaikulam since 1945.
An Elementary School was set up at North Vagaikulam in 1892, which was upgraded as a Middle School, thanks to efforts of the congregation in donating their land. In 1998, the congregation constructed a Marriage Hall. North Vagaikulam is functioning as a separate Pastorate since 1 April 2001.
The congregations under this pastorate are:
- St. Andrew’s Church, North Vagaikulam