About the Pastorate
Maruthakulam Pastorate came into being by the efforts of the Rev. Rhenius. This village was then controlled by Brahmin zamindars, who tormented the people. In 1851 Rev. Edward Sergeant gave baptism to 41 persons. For the present church the foundation was laid in the year 1902 by Rev. E.S. Khar . It was dedicated on 17th August in 1910 by Rt. Rev. A. A. Williams and named as Bishop Sargent Memorial Trinity Church. The Jubilee celebrations were held 17.8.60 with the blessings of by Rt. Rev. A.G. Jebaraj. The Pastorate is getting ready for the Centenary celebrations in 2010.
The congregations in the Pastorate are:
- Mela Panankulam
- Keela Panankulam
All Congregation members are Christians migrated from villages under Manur Panchayat Union during 1930 – 40 to work in Tea Estates and converted as Christians. Except Kodayar all five churches were established between 1955 – 1965. The Christ Church at Manjolai Estate is Kaspa Church. The Church was dedicated by Bishop. Rt. Rev. Jebaraj in 1953.