TENKASI NORTH ZION NAGAR PASTORATE
ZION NAGAR CHURCH Contact : o4633 280099
The members of Tenkasi Pastorate who had to settle down in Housing Board Colony, Sivanthi nagar, Sakthi nagar colonies felt that they should have a Church nearby for worship. In 1997 Rev.KN Jesudason started Sunday service in the house of Mr. Edwin Arputharaj in Housing Board Colony and another in the house of Mr. Kanagaraj in Sivanthi nagar. Mr. Sadhu Sundersingh was appointed as the first Catechist.
After a few months both worship groups decided to build a Church and bought 27 cent piece of land with willing donations offered by the members. A tin-roofed church was built under the headship of Rev. Gnanaraj and dedicated on 13.12.1998 by the Clergy Secretary Rev. Pitchamuthu. Later a bigger church was built with a parish hall in the ground floor and church in the first floor, which was dedicated by the Rt.Rev. Jeyapaul David on 30.12.2007.Since 01.04.2009 Tenkasi North Zion Nagar has become a Pastorate with Rev. Sutherson was the first Pastorate Chairman with 150 familes.
ZION TABERNACLE, DURAISAMYPURAM, IDAIKAL
The Christian in Duraisamypuram had been trekking to Kadaiyanallur, Senkottai and other places for worship. Duraisamypuram is 7 kms away from Tenkasi Zion nagar church.. In May 2010 a thatched tabernacle was erected in a rented piece of land and warship was started by Rev. ID Stephen, Council Chairman of North Council. Unfortunately, in a few months that thatched shed was destroyed due to natural calamities and Service was conducted in rented buildings. Then the members from Zion nagar church took initiative to purchase 5 cents of land with their generous giving. There a church was built and dedicated by the Rt.Rev. JJ Christdoss.
MARK’S CHURCH, KASIMAJOR PURAM
In 1990, there were few Christian families at Kasimajorpuram used to go to Courtalam Church. Then they decided to start a worship centre
at Kasimajorpuram and started worship with ten families. They started worshiping at Mrs. Anbu Ponnammal’s home. Then they have built a church in 2003 in the Diocese land at Kasimajorpuram with the donations from Mr. David Packiaraj and dedicated it.
HOLY TRINITY CHURCH, SENKOTTAI
The church situated at the background of the South Pothgi hills was the effort of missionaries from Scotland who started ministering here since 1900.A small church was built in 1920 for a small congregation in Senkottai then attached to the State of Kerala. Most of the congregation members were Malayalam speaking businessmen, labourers and farmers. Later people from other areas who came and settled here for livelihood joined the Church. Tamilians came in when in 1956 Senkottai became part of the State of Tamil Nadu, when service was conducted in Tamil in the Church.
The Church grew and was extended and dedicated on 13.06.1981. The tower was dedicated on 13.06.1991. Since 2008 Senkottai has become the Pastorate Headquarters bifurcated from Tenkasi with 105 families enthusiastically worshipping the Lord. It has the following Branch churches.
ST. JOHN’S CHURCH, NEDUMPARAI
The St. John’s Church in Nedumparai in Kerala has 25 Estate labourer families. It was originally a Chapel erected in 1877 by English men, who came from Cochin and settled in Nedumparai to construct a bridge in Punaloor. Histoy records that people used to stand and watch in awe the foreigners who rode on horsebacks & cars to worship in the chapel. They had also started a rubber factory in the vicinity.
As days passed by 150 Tamil labourer families embraced Christianity. The Worship was conducted in English, but the labourers wanted to worship in Tamil. So, the worship on sundays was conducted on Sunday in Tamil between 8.30 and 9.30 am and in English between 9.30 and 10.30am. When there were no more any English speaking people in 1980, the Tamil congregation desired that they are incorporated into the Tirunelveli Diocese. Now they are a growing Church in Senkottai Pastorate. The old church has been demolished and a new building has been erected in its place and dedicated in 2004.
ZION CHURCH, SORNAGIRI
Christians in Sornagiri and Senagiri were worshipping in a church in Florence Estate. With the permission of the company Manager a church was built in Senagiri in 1980. Since 1994 the Church had been growing fast. In 2003 the old church was demolished and a new church was built and dedicated on 15th April 2003 in Sornagiri.
Recently many among the congregation were compelled to leave Sornagiri and settle in Senagiri 8 kms away for job purposes. However they travel in jeeps and attend the service in Sornagiri regularly.
ST. PAUL’S CHURCH, ARANDAL
The seed for the Church in Arandal was a school started by the IMS mission field in Nedumparai. The believers used to gather in the school for prayer meetings. The school became a church in 1912. It was then a CMS church attached to Kayankulam in Kerala. When the Bishop in Cochin, the Rt. Rev. Earl Moore visited the church, he found the members speaking Tamil and handed over the church to the Bishop in Tirunelveli the Rt.Rev. Fredrick Western. Later a separate church building was erected. The old church was demolished in 2003. Today there are only 25 families in the place of 75, since many have moved out to live in Tamil Nadu.
Tamil Christians in Anaichadi were worshipping in the church in Florence Estate. In the 1990s Christians from Arandal visited Anaichadi and conducted worship groups. Christmas programmes were special. As a result the number of Christians increased. In 1994 in response to their appeal the Manager offered the Elementary school for worship. Till now service is conducted in the school, where 10 families are worshipping Jesus Christ.
GOOD SHEPHERD CHURCH, FLORENCE
Nedumparai is the mother Church of this Church in Florence. They had been mostly labourers in the rubber estate. The LMS missionary Mr. Franson who was also the estate Manager in this area brought together both Christians and non-Christians and conducted prayer meetings. People from Upper Anaichadi, lower Anaichadi, Senagiri and Sornagiri attended the prayer meetings in large groups, which led to the building of a church. The church was washed away in the floods of 13 Nov.1992. After ten years the members of the congregation constructed a church that was dedicated on 15.03.2003.
BETHEL CHURCH, LALAKUDIYIRUPPU
The church in Lalakudiyiruppu was the fruit of prayer and ministry done by Christians in Senkottai and Vallam. In 2008 a piece of land was acquired and construction of a church started in 2014. Every week around 25 familes gather in a house and worship the Lord.
CHRIST CHURCH, VALLAM
The foot hills of the Western ghats saw the establishment of Churches in places like Ilanji and Courtallam because of Western missionaries. Vallam is a town between Courtallam and Senkottai. Christians from Vallam were worshipping in Ilanji in the beginning. In 1912 a small church was built. Gradually the number of Christians increased. In 2013, with 105 families the church was extended. It is a church that is growing day by day.
CHRISTMAS CHURCH, AMBANADU
In 1947 s separate building was erected for worship. Since 1940 the church is celebrating Harvest festival and IMS sale. The church was extended in 2014. Since people have moved over to Tamil Nadu, there are only 25 Christian families in the place of a hundred earlier.